Saturday 21 April 2012

Day 1: "I Really Respect You, But..."

alright, i really like(d) this guy at work (already a bad choice, i know) and i thought he was into me too.

as mentioned before, i'm not going to use anyone's real name so let's call this guy nate.

a couple of weeks ago i was out at a pub with a bunch of work friends, nate included.  all night nate had been chatting with me and apologizing for an incident that had happened a couple of weeks prior.  i told him we were cool and that he didn't need to worry about it anymore, which really seemed to make his day/night.  he kept going on about how he thought i was super cool and fun, and that he was really starting to like me.  of course i was skeptical because we had all been drinking, and people say stupid shit when they're drunk, but then all of my friends kept coming up to me and telling me that nate was super into me.  i hadn't told anyone, but i did have a crush on him... i was just too afraid to admit it.


call it liquid courage, but as my friends and i were leaving to go to the next bar i went up to nate and told him that i had a crush on him and that i really wanted him to come along.  he was surprised by my confession, but in a good way (thank god) and he decided to come with us.

well, after getting to the second location it didn't take long before nate and i were that couple... you know, the ones that can't keep their hands off each other and are making out all over the place. yeah.  i hate those couples too.  nate just couldn't get enough of me, constantly telling me how much he liked me and that he wanted to keep hanging out and blah blah blah.  i was eating it allll up.

we exchanged info and texted a little bit, but nothing too intense which to be honest i was fine with.  i really don't want a boyfriend or at least i'm not really looking for one.  i don't like labels because as soon as you have one, expectations change.  i just want to have fun, and nate seemed like the perfect guy for that... just a no strings, i like you / you like me, let's have fun sort of deal.

it seemed perfect... that is until i went on vacation for a few days.

i came back and half expected that nate would want to talk to me straight away, just to ask me about my trip because he knew how excited i was about it.  when he didn't i tried not to read too much into it since he's not my boyfriend and we work together, and to be honest i didn't want people in the office to see us being too friendly...  it just makes me feel uncomfortable (even though everyone and their mother saw us making out just a week prior).
at the end of the week though, we all did our usual after work drinks and nate started talking to me and asking about my trip which was nice.  there were a lot of people with us so both of us we're kind of bouncing around talking to different groups of people, which was good because i wanted to catch up with my friends too and just have a laugh.

i noticed nate talking to one girl in particular which didn't really bother me, until he came over to me later that night and said "can i talk to you for a minute?".

conversations that start like that never end well.  he basically told me that "what he had was special" but since i had been gone for a few days he met someone else that he really liked.
i happen to work very closely with this someone else, but that wasn't what bothered me.  he actually had the nerve to say that he felt i was holding her back because i'm more senior than her at work and she doesn't want to step on my toes by pursuing him.  oh, and that he would really appreciate it if i could talk to her about it.  seriously?!

whatever.  i did talk to her, and she was taken aback... she said that night was the first time she had ever spoken to him, and she thought it was kind of weird that he would say all that.  i gave her my blessing (which was completely unnecessary) and even managed to tell her that he's actually a great guy, so she should go for it if she likes him.  i'm not sure what happened afterwards, but i guess i'll find out when i go to work.

again, it doesn't bother me so much that he doesn't like me anymore - it happens!  what does bother me is that he tried to make it seem as if i would use my "power" at work to fuck this girl over if she dated him.  first of all, i don't actually have that kind of power... i can't fire someone.  secondly, i was gone for like 4 days!!

ugh, whatever.  i'm just hoping that things aren't awkward between me and this girl on monday.  i actually think she's pretty cool and want to be friends.



**i just realized how long this post is.... i also realized that i'm a horrible storyteller.  note to self: write shorter posts if possible

No comments:

Post a Comment